Thursday, June 27, 2013

Turkey Quinoa Stew


Before I got married I hardly ever cooked.  And by hardly ever, I mean never.  After we got married and I had all of this free time on my hands, I decided to try my hand at it.  Lo and Behold, I have grown to love cooking, and so far, I haven't killed us!

This dish is a staple in the O'Hara household.  It's quick, easy, pretty healthy (I think) and has a kick to it, which Chris and I love.

I found the recipe here if you want to see the original.


The Ingredients:
1 lb of ground turkey
1 zucchini, diced
1 small onion, diced
1 pepper (green, yellow, red), diced
1 can Pinto Beans
1 Cup of Quinoa
Taco Seasoning (we like the "hot and spicy" one but you could always do "reduced sodium" or something else)
1 can diced tomatoes and green chilies (I like Ro-Tel)
14 oz can of chicken broth
1 Tbsp Lime juice
1/2 tsp minced garlic or 1 clove (this was not in the original recipe but in this household we cook pretty much everything with garlic)

1. Spray a pan with non stick cooking spray and brown the ground turkey, onion and garlic together

2. Add the zucchini, pepper and taco seasoning.  Stir so that the taco seasoning covers the veggies.




3. Add the quinoa, broth, beans, and tomatoes and turn the heat up to "high."  Bring the stew to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the quinoa is cooked (which you can tell because the grain gets a sort of "ring" around it)


4. Add about a tablespoon of lime juice, serve, top with some cheese and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so grateful you decided to stop by! Your comments are always welcome, I just please ask for you to be kind with your words.