Monday, June 24, 2013

Soak Up Some Sun

*Cue Sheryl Crow*

This weekend we spent some quality time with some good friends at the Jersey Shore.  Chris' best man's parents (I'll give you a second to sort that one out in your head) got it? ok.  They have a shore house in Jersey and probably one of their favorite things is having the "kids" down for a visit.  Joe and his fantastic wife have in the past invited a larger group of couples to come down and enjoy the house, this year however, was a much smaller group, just three couples plus Joe's parent's.  We had so much fun and I actually got a bit of a tan.  We went for boat rides (it was Buster's first time on a boat!), we played a lot of corn hole, we enjoyed some delicious drinks, we marveled at Joe and Kathleen's fantastic cooking (seriously they are the best cooks and are a couple of the best hosts I've ever met!), we played games, and were amazed of the little lady doin acrobatics in-utero - she will be Chris' and my goddaughter so I may already be a little partial to her adorableness.  It was a fabulous weekend with some even more fabulous friends :-)
Pups ready for the boat!  And yes, those are life vests
In my most recent 7 Quick Takes I talked about runnin' out to get a new one-piece bathing suit.  I had success @ Target (that store will seriously be my wallets downfall) in the clearance section!  Score!

One piece.  Fun print.  Covers my butt.  Still looks modern and feminine while allowing me to remain a liiitle more modest that I would in a bikini.  Paired with a simple black cotton skirt (also on clearance) and I was set for the weekend!  

Now, I wish I could say that I never fell on the bikini bandwagon, but I did.  This is probably one of the first one-piece bathing suits I've owned in a very long while.  But if I'm being honest with myself, I have never felt comfortable in a bikini for a multitude of reasons.  I simply bought and wore them because that's "what girls wear" at the beach/pool etc.  Why else would everyone and their mother call this season "bikini season."  That dreaded season that girls prepare for months in advance with diets, exercise, hours of staring at yourself in the mirror wondering why you don't look like a Victoria's Secret model. (Because, *spoiler alert* I am not a VS model!)  I don't like that feeling of thinking you're body isn't up to par.  I am made in His image and likeness, so why did those two little pieces of clothing make me forget that?!

I guess I just finally realized that wearing a bikini makes me uncomfortable, bottom line.  I am that girl who wears a shirt and worries that there's too much cleavage showing, even when there clearly is not. My body is for my husband's eyes only. What made me think I would like a bikini??  Carolyn over at 4Life4Life talked about the dread of taking off the cover-up...and boy did she hit the nail on the head!  I would pretty much stay in my cover up for as long as I could because I felt waay too exposed when I took it off.  Even in a one-piece I still feel a little exposed but much more comfortable than my bikini days.  Although, I must say, you can still run into a less than modest one piece.  I tried on a couple and they had some plunging V-necks that made me feel like the girls were about to pop out and say hello, which is less than modest!

Now a days though (and maybe in the past this was true as well and I was just a stubborn teen) you can find so many more cute, trendy, fashoinable one-pieces and tankinis that it is much easier to wear them.  It sort of made me laugh when I walked out in my one-piece this weekend...I kept thinking to myself, gosh I must look like a prude, what's everyone going to think...and then my friend complimented my suit.  Why would anyone care what bathing suit I choose to wear, its a matter of preference.  I'm not a prude, I am simply choosing a style of suit that fits me better and makes me feel more modest, while remaining "in style," fashionable and still able to get a rockin' tan! Not to mentioned I am not lamenting over the fact that my body doesn't look "just right."  What do people always say?  When you feel comfortable in what you are wearing, you feel more confident, and in turn, attractive.  Amen sistah, Amen.  And for me, wearing a bikini has never led to that feeling of comfortable confidence.

My issue now, however, is what to do with the bikini's I no longer want?  I would love to be able to somehow sell them (thrift store maybe?) and then take that money and buy more one-pieces and tankinis...any suggestions?

And what are your thoughts on swimwear/suggestions for looking cute and modest on the beach?

1 comment:

  1. That bathing suit is gorgeous, Tiffany, so feminine and pretty!!
    I personally never really had the body for a bikini, and already having insecurities about my body, knew I would never wear one. I would not demonize a woman who wears one, but I personally don't think a woman needs to wear so little at the beach for comfort in the hot months.
    Maybe you could sell them on etsy?

    ReplyDelete

I am so grateful you decided to stop by! Your comments are always welcome, I just please ask for you to be kind with your words.