Friday, January 10, 2014

A Return to 7 QTs in which I recap everything

I can't remember the last time I linked up with Conversion Diary for 7 Quick Takes, so I'm glad to be back!  This may be a little all over the place so I apologize in advance

1.  I have yet to upload photos/do a recap of the holidays - but they went a little something like this.  Drive to NJ Christmas Eve.  Go to mass.  Go to neighborhood party.  Sleep.  Wake up Christmas morning, relax, let dog out to run around in backyard.  Dog is about to come in from back yard and his paw is bleeding profusely.  Look more closely - one toenail is missing from paw.  Drive dog to emergency vet - large sum of money later - dog is in a cone and his paw is well wrapped.  Open presents.  Laugh over events of the day.  Drive back to MD.  That's the abridged version.  You're welcome :-)  Christmas was great and it was really nice being able to spend the holiday with Chris' family - even after my worries about missing out on my traditions.
Poor pup


2. We had a New Years party - probably our last - it was fun but I definitely feel like I'm getting too old to be staying up til midnight (read: 3 a.m.).  Anyway, it was amusing to hear all of our friends joke with us that 2014 should be the year of a baby for Chris and I.  Although my friend who is getting married in September loudly protested that I need to fit into a bridesmaid dress haha  It was also funny/random that a woman I went to grad school with sent me a message yesterday saying she had had a dream in which she was visiting me in the hospital after I had a baby.  Whoa.  As I said in my response "from your lips (dream) to God's ears"
Two of my best friends from high school

3. When I was in grad school, one of my professors asked me why I wasn't going on to get my PhD.  I took this as a compliment, but responded that I had gone straight into grad school after undergrad without a break...and boy did I need a break from tests, papers, textbooks etc.  Yesterday though I totally thought of research I would love to do for a dissertation - something along the lines of "The Effects of Christian principles on school behavior of middle school students"  There may be tons of research on this already but I could possibly find an avenue that hasn't been looked at yet.  I'm just noticing at the school where I work, a lot of the students that I know are religious, their parents take them to church, etc. get into a lot less trouble (no, they're not perfect) than the ones who I know aren't religious.  Just interesting.  Maybe I will go back to school....(no, probably not)

4. Do you ever sit down to type something and then don't?  I've been doing that a lot recently.  I may start writing something and then delete it because I'm worried it'll be taken the wrong way, or will be to controversial, or this friend or that friend might get insulted when I didn't mean for it to be insulting.  I think waaay too much about all of that when I'm writing a post - which is probably why I've been silent for a bit.  I'm still...finding my voice I guess you could say.

5. I've loved reading all of the "word" of 2014 posts and see what Saints were generated from the Saint Name Generator.  I got Saint Damian - twice.  No joke.  Clicked it once, got St. Damian (patron of physicians and surgeons).  Clicked a second time, got St. Damien (patron of those with HIV and AIDS).  I'm thinking I should start praying more for doctors.
When I think about a word for 2014...I've had a rough time settling on something.  My go to is Hope.  "Hope does not disappoint" Romans 5:5  I have hope that 2014 will bring a better, more fulfilling job.  I have hope that 2014 will be the year our family grows.  I have hope that 2014 will be a good year for my sister and her family.  I have hope that God will leads us where we need to be.  I have hope that He will give us the strength to keep going - to accept His will even when it is difficult to do so.  I have hope.
At least I thought this would be my word...read on (the anticipation, I know)

6. This feast of the Epiphany was really special for me - although I'm not really sure why.  I recently discovered that my name (Tiffany - in case you've somehow missed that *wink*) is derived from the word epiphany.  So I've sort of taken the feast of the Epiphany as my name day (because there is no saint Tiffany...yet - as my mother likes to remind me).  Chris and I went to mass at a Church that is not our parish, but one we frequent because of their many mass times.  When I walked in, the way the church was decorated took my breath away - these pictures don't do it justice


And then the homily.  I had been in a "funk" (for lack of a better word) the entire weekend.  I was feeling really down and kind of depressed - about a few different things.  The homily talked about finding our own star to lead us to Christ, and the different people in our lives who help us follow our star are our own magi.  Sometimes we may follow on star thinking "this is it" but we need to change direction.  I think that's where I am...in a "I need to change direction."  But the magi in my life have been pretty fantastic :-)  As I was walking to receive communion, I was suddenly out of my "funk" and thinking about how ungrateful I've been for all of the blessings in my life.  All I've been focusing on is what's "missing,"  what I still "need" and "want."  I thanked God for everything He's blessed me with, and apologized for not being more grateful.  And BAM!  That's my real word for 2014 - GRATITIUDE.

7.  And I will leave you with this.  I saw this last night on Simcha's blog.  I cried from laughing so hard.
Go Check it Out.  Or I'll just leave it here for your convenience



Happy Friday everyone!  Go check out Conversion Diary for more Quick Takes!

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I really enjoyed your post, especially the one where you mentioned that you frequently start writing posts and then stop because you're not sure how it will come across to people. I seriously have SO many drafts that I often wonder, "Hmm...I am not sure about this one..." Anyways, you have a lovely blog!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It's nice to hear I'm not the only one. Thanks for finding my blog - you have a wonderful blog yourself!

      Delete

I am so grateful you decided to stop by! Your comments are always welcome, I just please ask for you to be kind with your words.