Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Old, New, Borrowed, Blue

When I saw that Stephanie at Captive the Heart was hosting a wedding link-up...well, let's just say I'm glad no one saw my reaction.  I love weddings.  And I love reminiscing (is it actually reminiscing if it was only 2 years ago?) about our wedding day.

So, without further ado, I give you my something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue.

My something old is probably my favorite out of the four.  When Chris and I got engaged, his mother very generously gave us a couple engagement gifts.  One was an ornament with the date of our engagement.  The old box I opened held what looked like a baby bonnet.  To say I was confused would be putting it mildly.  Chris' mom saw my confusion and explained that the bonnet was given to Chris for his baptism.  Inside the bonnet was a poem that stated the bonnet was to be used for the son (or daughters) baptism, and then with a little snip it becomes a handkerchief to be given to the son's fiancé or for the daughter's "something old."  Pretty sure I teared up right there.  I decided the handkerchief would be wrapped around my bouquet.  Knowing that it was Chris' when he was a baby just made it that extra special
It fit well with my "lace" theme

This picture also shows my "something borrowed."  I knew I wanted a rosary to be wrapped around my bouquet as well.  It would make me feel like the Blessed Mother was helping to walk me down the isle along with my dad.  So I decided to ask my mom if I could borrow one of her rosaries.  This particular one I'd always loved, it's from the Vatican and whenever I'd pray with my mom, this was always the rosary I wanted to pray with.

My something new was, of course, my dress.  I love, love, LOVED my dress.  I still remember being obsessed with watching "Say Yes to the Dress" and kind of laughing when girls would start crying when they found "the" dress.  I never thought that would be me.  I went dress shopping with my mom and I knew that I wanted a lace dress.  Something timeless, and classic.  And preferably with a little sleeve - I've never been comfortable without wearing at least a thick tank in church.  But at the same time I didn't want to look like a little old lady or anything, I still wanted to look youthful and pretty.  When I found "the" dress...I teared up.  Not full on crying, but I definitely had tears in my eyes.  My mom did too.  It was just exactly what I had pictured wearing as I walked down the aisle toward Chris.



My something blue was an idea I had seen on Pinterest (shocking, I know).  I had each of my bridesmaids sign my shoe in blue ink.  Again, it was supposed to symbolize my girls helping me walk down the aisle.  There is also some myth that the person whose name wears off the most is the next to get married.  But to be honest, I forgot to look at the end of the night...so I don't know whose name it was!

Now, go check out Captive the Heart for more wonderful wedding traditions :-)

2 comments:

  1. My SIL did the shoe signing, too, and I always thought that was such a fun idea. And the handkerchief story is so sweet! What a special addition to your wedding day. Also, your dress is gorgeous, Tiffany! I love the lace. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I am totes stealing the handkerchief idea for my baby boys' (or right now just baby boy's--not gonna let a misused apostrophe make it look like I'm pregnant!) future brides. How thoughtful of Chris' mom; that is so, so special! And you looked absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete

I am so grateful you decided to stop by! Your comments are always welcome, I just please ask for you to be kind with your words.