Saturday, April 12, 2014

Dealing with "Secondary Stress" in the helping profession

So, as you, the reader, may or may not have gathered, I am a Pastoral Counselor.  I did a brief overview of what that is in one of my first posts here.

I recently started a new job working with children ages 3-18 at an Outpatient Mental Health Clinic.  And it's been an intense first month.  I have already had so many different counseling experiences versus when I was at my old job.  I'm thankful for these experiences and I am hoping they will help me grow as a counselor.

At the same time, though, I have given in to a sort of fear about my profession.  I became a counselor so that I can help people.  As I wrote in my "thesis" paper for my Masters degree, I hope that my work as a counselor will help lead my clients along restful waters.  A place where the weary and burdened come to lay their sorrows, fears, etc. at my feet.  But sometimes those burdens come with CPS reports or safety contracts.  And those are difficult.  From the standpoint of it being sad to see your clients go through something so hard, as well as the more practical liability standpoint.  And I hate to think of that, because it makes me feel like I'm narrowing the work that we as counselors do to something that avoids liability.  Or something that will pass an audit from the state or insurance company.

I don't want the work I do with my clients to suddenly become a burden, or a space for fear.  Yes, clients will come to me with a painful past or present.  I need to hold that for them without fear.  Yes, there may come times when reports need to be made, and yes, it will be hard to do, but I know I have support where I am and the report is ultimately to ensure the safety of my clients.

I've been having a lot of fear and doubt about my chosen profession...pretty much since I started my first "big girl" job.  Which is in stark contrast to the joy I felt in my Masters program and clinical internships.  This work has never been "easy" but I certainly never worried about liability like I have been recently.  So where is this all coming from?!

I was browsing my book shelf the other day and came upon a book written by one of Loyola's Pastoral Counseling professors, Dr. Robert J. Wicks.  The book is entitled The Resilient Clinician.  I picked it up and just started reading the introduction to see if it was something I felt like delving into further.  And boy am I glad I did.  Seriously, the book opens with the quote, "They may forget what you said, but they will never forget how you made them feel" Carl W. Buechner.  Pretty sure I internally yelled, YES!  Dr. Wicks speaks about something called "secondary stress" often felt by those in the helping profession.  Secondary stress occurs when we in the helping profession give, and give to our clients, patients etc. to the point that we have nothing left for ourselves.  Our practice fails, we start to make more mistakes, and even our health can start deteriorating.

I'm really looking forward to continue reading the book.  In fact, I think I desperately need to read this book.  The word that comes to mind when I think about how I'm feeling a month into my new job?  Oh. ver. whelmed.  Intakes to type, and Treatment Plans to do for just about all of my new clients (the number is quickly growing).  On top of keeping up with my daily contact notes.  And other administrative things as needed.  And all of that after leaving a super stressful job (for different reasons).  I probably should have taken more time off than a few days between jobs, just so I could de-stress from one job before beginning another.  I am so incredibly grateful for this new job, and all that I have been learning, don't get me wrong.  But the nature of this job is more difficult than some.  And I think this book is a great reminder that I need to make sure I take care of myself too.  I can't do my job well, and help others if I can't even take care of myself.

If you're in the helping profession, doctors, nurses, social workers, counselors etc. I highly recommend this book.  I'm hoping to write a little more about it once I've finished it.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tiffany!

    Thanks for sharing this post - I feel like I could relate to a certain degree as I currently work in an outpatient clinic as a dietitian. Starting a new job can always be tremendously overwhelming like you mentioned especially when you know that you are playing a role in your patients' well-being! When I used to work in the inpatient setting, I would go home almost every night and worry about my patients that were on tube feedings or who had poor appetites, and I had a really hard time of keeping my work separated from my personal life. It's sounds like you are doing a really great job of keeping a balance, and that book you mentioned sounds AMAZING! I am definitely going to check it out! Anyways, just wanted to say hi, and to offer some encouragement as I'm sure you are truly a blessing to the patients that you work with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joan! Your work sounds so interesting and I'm willing to bet you're a blessing to them as well. The book is great, if you read it, let me know what you think :-)

      Delete
  2. Hi Tiffany Wicks is a great gifted man. Loyola was blessed to have him. He is speaking at a conference on death education next week that my Loyola bff is going to. I am remembering you in prayer. Let's have coffee again sometime soon. I love your blog. God bless!

    ReplyDelete

I am so grateful you decided to stop by! Your comments are always welcome, I just please ask for you to be kind with your words.